Electricity substation honoured

0

A Grade II listed electricity substation, which has been providing electricity to homes and businesses in Heaton Moor and surrounding areas since 1902, has been commemorated.

Working with the local Heatons Heritage Society, the region’s power network operator Electricity North West unveiled a new plaque outside the substation, which has been a key feature on the main road in Heaton Moor for 115 years.

When the substation was first constructed, Edward VII was king, Beatrix Potter’s The Tale of Peter Rabbit was published, two years later Frederick Royce met Charles Rolls in the Midland Hotel and there were 73 power supplies in the North West, owned by 60 local authorities.

With more modern equipment and innovative technology in place, the primary substation is still in operation today, helping to provide power to 10,000 people who rely on electricity every day.

Mark Williamson, operations director for Electricity North West and Heaton Mersey resident, said: “We’re proud that this fantastic building, which has been a key feature in the area for over a century, and which is still powering the local community today, has been honoured. We are delighted to work with the Heatons Heritage Society to commemorate the building in this way.”

Phil Rowbotham, chairman of the Heatons Heritage Society, told MOOR: “The aim of the Heatons Heritage Society is to promote, improve and develop the heritage and conservation of all the Four Heatons: Heaton Chapel, Heaton Mersey, Heaton Moor and Heaton Norris, locked together to create a positive outlook for the benefit of all of the local community. We are also delighted to work with Electricity North West to commemorate the building in this way.”

Comments are closed.